Sunday 14 April 2013

My Nail Space

Last week I finally bit the bullet and mail ordered my very first IKEA Helmer.  My polish collection is quickly multiplying and I was running out of room.  My untrieds basket is literally overflowing and the plastic stackable drawers I use to store my nail polish are starting to buckle under the weight of all of the pretties.

I've been contemplating my nail space for a while now.  Dreaming up improvements and alterations to make it a really workable, but inviting space.

I love getting a sticky beak at other nail enthusiasts spaces - whether it be a whole room, a corner, a bookshelf or a floor set-up.  So I thought I would share with you my current space.

I took quite a few pictures, so for the first time, I will be trying the 'jump break'.  If you want to see more of my nail space, please continue reading after the break.





I am proud to say that my nail space has graduated from a basket in my bathroom, to a drawer in my bathroom, to a plastic drawer in my cupboard to a corner in our spare room.

Our spare room is quite small, but for the moment it has all the space that I need.  The desk I use we have had for AAAAAAGES.  I'm pretty sure it saw my sister through primary, high school and uni.  It's quite compact and perfect for the little space we have.  I have dreams of replacing it, but for the moment it is great.  Plus because it is so old, I don't stress when I spill acetone or drip polish on it.


Here is my current polish storage solution.  These drawers cost $10 each from KMart and have been an excellent option so far.  IKEA is yet to come to Darwin, so our options have been limited.  I would keep on using these drawers except they are starting to buckle and stick under the weight and if I got any more I would need to start a new stack and I just don't have the space for that.

Now for the best bit...  In the drawers!


The bottom drawer is a mish-mash medley of polishes.  I have my Essies, Revlon, Butter Londons, Sally Hansens and anything else 'drug store' branded.  Though this is now full...  I have a spill over drawer further up.



The second drawer holds most of my OPIs and China Glazes.  Again, this drawer is full, so the overflow is in another drawer.  When I get my Helmer, I am looking forward to having a drawer just for OPI and a drawer just for China Glazes.  I have quite a few OPIs and China Glazes in my untrieds too...


The next drawer up is my overflow drawer.  A little bit of this and that (plus some gorgeous polish boxes).


The top drawer is my indie drawer.  I have soooooooo many indies in my untrieds basket that I imagine that this drawer would be past overflowing if they were all stored in there.


 The basket on top of my drawers contains all of my nail art stuff - brushes, dotting tools, stamping stuff, rhinestones, etc.  It also contains a few different brands of make-up cotton wipes.  I'm trying to find a decently priced cotton wipe that doesn't live cotton fibres all over the place.  I also have a roll of paper towel and cotton tips.


On my actual desk are my untrieds.  They used to just fit in the basket...  (the basket used to hold all the polish that I owned once upon a time...)  I went a bit crazy in some awesome sales, so the amount of nail mail I have received in the last couple of weeks has been huuuuuuge.  I hate the basket. I find it really difficult to find a particular polish.  I'm looking forward getting my helmer and dedicating a whole drawer to my untrieds.  Though I have nearly 150 untrieds...  will they all fit in just ONE drawer????


I have also stuck up some business cards and some cards I got from my birthday group just to add some colour and personal touch.


 One thing I like about this desk is the shelving.  I imagine buying a bigger desk without shelving, but then I have no idea what I would do with all the STUFF I have stored on the shelves!


My top coats.  I am planning on doing a post soon on top coats.  I'm sure you can tell by the fill line which one is my preferred top coat.


 My extra little nail knick-knacks. Base coats, cuticle oil, moisturiser and polish strips.  I LOVE polish strips - in particular the Sally Hansen ones.  Every time Priceline has a sale, I get one (or two).  They are great for those weeks you know you won't have time to update your nails and they have some pretty cool designs.  I also have an unopened Sally Hansen Insta-Dry.  This used to be my top coat of choice.  But it is sooo expensive!  I bought this just before my SV, Posche and HK Girl turned up.  I guess I am keeping it for an emergency...



 My extras top coats (and duri).  Like most things on ebay, it is cheaper to buy in bulk.



 My project for the last few weeks!  I am loving my swatch sticks.  They make choosing a manicure much easier and it is great to see how the polish looks on the 'nail'.  I have organised them by colour (except the holos have their own glass) and my untrieds have their own glass - which is VERY full...



Next to my swatch sticks I have my acetone and clean-up tools.  There are also some polishes ready to go to their new homes for their recipients birthday group month and my sister's label maker - an absolute godsend when labelling my swatch sticks!


And last but not least, my itty bitty bin.  It was a steal at $2 from the cheap shop. I also have a little box I use to transport polish to the living room when I decide to do my nails - or my sister's nails - in there.


 I bought this awesome little desk on wheels from Officeworks for $40!   It is usually kept in the nail room and wheeled out when needed.  It is great for those nights I want to do my nails in front of the TV.

So there you have it.  My current nail space.  And for those that were curious, my collection stands at approximately 330.  Still quite small by most nail lover's standards, but a giant number according to my friends and family, lol.

I am very much looking forward to getting my Helmer and I'll update you on when it arrives :)

I would love to see your nail spaces.  Whether you devote a blog post to it or an instagram picture, I'd love to see your set-up!

x

2 comments:

  1. Loved seeing your nail space! I really need to do a post on this! The shelving on your desk is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) You should totally do a post on your space! I love getting a sticky beak of other nail spaces :)

      Delete