Monday 6 August 2012

Gnocchi with Spicy Tomato Sauce and Mozzarella

Last night I made Gnocchi with Spicy Tomato Sauce and Mozzarella.

Suprisingly, this recipe supposedly only had 386 calories a serve (not including the salad).  I always thought gnocchi would be quite high in calorie content, apparently I was wrong.

The recipe was also quite simple, with a total of 6 ingredients.  The gnocchi is store bought and next time I might be brave and try to make it from scratch.  The tomato sauce was very simple, consisting of a large tin of tomatoes, garlic, basil and a pinch of chilli flakes.

I thought the sauce was quite acidic and I wanted to add a wee bit of sugar to cut through the acidity, however the only sugar I could find was either raw sugar or Equal...  The Equal might have been okay, but I chose to go without...  The sauce could have also used a bit more chilli.  I guess my 'pinch' is quite measly.  My sister suggested that next time I might want to try blitzing the sauce as we both don't enjoy chunky tomato bits.

So this meal was okay, and with a few minor adjustments, I think it could potentially turn into a semi-regular meal in our house.


In other adventures, while looking for a recipe for low calorie banana muffins, I came across a website that has HEAPS of low calorie recipes.  While the recipes don't come with pictures (a bit let-down in my opinion), they come with a full nutritional evaluation.  Many recipes are submitted by the general public.  Go check it out at:  www.caloriecount.com  You have to sign up, but it's painless and FREE.

No comments:

Post a Comment