Sunday 29 July 2012

Fritter FAIL

Tomorrow I re-start my weight loss journey.  As I have mentioned previously, I have fallen off the wagon in a  BIIIIIG way.  I am putting it down to the epic-ness that was term 2 and have marked the whole of term 2 as a write-off (in more ways than just weight loss) and am starting fresh.  My mini goal for this term is to lose 5kg before I head off to Bali at the end of September.  Including my unfortunate (but inevitable) weight gain of term 2, it will bring my TOTAL weight loss for the year to 11kg - and 2kg less than my previous 'best' for the year.

Bring it on.  I did it before, and I am fairly confident that I can do it again.

So today I planned to get organised for the week's lunches.  I always find it difficult to think of a healthy lunch option.  Surprisingly, sandwiches are quite calorie laden.  The plan was to make veggie sushi for Monday's and Tuesday's lunches.  Off into the kitchen I go, only to realise that not only did I forget to buy cucumber, but my sushi rice did not survive the journey from my old kitchen to my current kitchen.  Whoops.

Too lazy to head back to the shops, I decided to make the Feta and Zucchini Fritters I had planned to make  on Tuesday night for Wednesday's and Thursday's lunches.  They had received rave reviews on taste.com.au and I always enjoy a good fritter.

Unfortunately, these fritters were an epic fail.

I could tell right away that the mixture was too runny.  However, I assumed they would hold their shape and get nice and golden and crispy once cooked.  NOPE.  Flipping them required an engineering degree, and no matter how 'golden' they were on the outside, they were still sloppy and raw on the inside.  They tasted delicious.  I loved the addition of the thyme and feta.  They had heaps more flavour than the other fritter varieties I had made, yet they were soggy and lack-lustre.  Upon reading the comments accompanying the recipe, many people added more flour and eggs to get the 'right' consistency.  What the hell is the 'right' consistency?!  I'm a strong believer in following a recipe and only tweaking it for personal taste - not tweaking it to make the bloody thing work.

Most of the fritters ended up in the bin.  However I did keep some to see how they go once they are cold.

Obviously not enough for two day's worth of lunches, it looks like trusty Vita-Wheats and vegemite will be for lunch instead.

* I could've taken a photo, but chose not to subject you all to my sad, sad fritters.*

No comments:

Post a Comment