Monday 9 July 2012

Another Simple Pleasure

A couple of months ago, I wrote about the simple pleasure of a frozen meal.  Delicious, yet quick and easy.

Today, I partook in yet another simple pleasure.  The good old packet cake.


Now don't get me wrong, I would prefer to make a cake from scratch.  But sometimes, I can't be bothered with all the little details and time required when making a cake from scratch.  Plus, more often than not, it is usually cheaper to make a packet cake.

While perusing the aisles at the local supermarket, my sister pointed out this particular cake mix, intrigued by the strawberry flavour.  So while she was at work, I took to the kitchen and started 'baking'.


This particular mix only required the addition of melted butter, eggs and water (it came with icing and cute pink patty-pans).  Blitz it all together then evenly divide into 12 cases and shove in the oven for 18 minutes.  Done.


Unfortunately, my oven is a bit dodgy for some reason it doesn't distribute heat evenly.  So no matter how hard I tried to put the same amount of mixture into the cases in order to get perfectly shaped cupcakes, many of them ended up lopsided...


Once they were cool, I set about icing them.  I had hoped to use my Tupperware piping thingy, but there was not enough icing.  So I went old school and just smeared the icing on the top.  I like to think of it as... rustic...


I decided to store them in a cute Christmas themed Tupperware container.  I think it adds a bit of quirk.  Plus it was the only container I could find that didn't take over the fridge (I actually have a Tupperware cake storer, but it is HUUUUUUUGE).


Of course, I had to test taste one.  They were not as sweet as I thought they would be, which is a good thing.  The teeny bit of icing was all that it needed.  If it had much more, the cupcake would have been too sweet.  I love the pink colour of the cake!


Oh, how cute is the cannister I got from Spotlight today?!  It came as a set of three and was only $7.  Bargain!


It is a goal of mine to one day make macaroons.

I wonder if they come in a packet mix...

No comments:

Post a Comment