Tuesday 29 May 2012

What I've been eating lately.

Gee, it's been quite a while since I did a food post.  My weight loss and cooking journey was the inspiration for this blog.

With getting ready to move, moving, settling in and the extreme amount of pressure I've been under at work it has meant that my healthy eating has taken a back seat in the past couple of months.  I have well and truly fallen off the wagon and I have the super grazed knees and the number on my scales to prove it.  I have gained 2kg - bringing my total weight loss down to only 6kg.  Argh!  I know it could be worse.  I have been eating terribly, so I am a bit surprised I haven't put more weight on than I actually have.

I am starting slow with getting back on the wagon.  I am doing a meal plan again, but am not being as strict as I know I should be.

I've made a few new things over the past few weeks.

Lentil Soup


This turned out much better than I expected.  I've had a few lentil soups over the years and this one was different in the fact that half of it was blitzed which added a thicker texture to the soup.  The lentil soups I've had in the past have all been very watery and this had the thick soupy texture that I love.  A thing I added that wasn't in the recipe was garlic.  It just didn't seem right to not have garlic in it, especially considering it had onion, carrot and celery.  It was also only 260 calories a serve.  Sweet!

Potato and Split Pea Curry


This was devine.  Pity I misread the calorie count and it was probably closer than twice the amount of calories than I had thought...  Instead of using a madras curry paste, I chose to use a yellow curry paste as I had heard that madras was VERY hot.  Well, the yellow curry paste was uber mild and while it had the curry flavour, it would've been even better if it had a bit more bite.  So next time - if there is a next time - I will be using a hotter curry paste.

Healthy Nachos




Now these surprised me.  I had chosen to make the nachos as an easy meal choice, and easy it was.  Refried beans, tin tomato, taco seasoning, cheese, corn chips (the recipe made its own tortilla chips...), spring onion and sour cream  Awesome, stuff I usually have lying around in my pantry and fridge anyway.  I got the recipe off the Weight Watchers website a couple of years ago and it reckons it was only 5.5 points (the old points, not the pro points) per serve.  I haven't worked that out in calories yet...  When I was making it, I was dubious as to whether there would be enough per serve.  So instead of dividing it into four serves, it was more closer to three serves.  Well, surprise, surprise, it was REALLY filling (probably due to the beans).  Like, stomach exploding filling.  So I now have no doubt that it would serve four very comfortably and will divide it appropriately next time.

Until next time,

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment